Yasmin Qureshi - MP for Bolton South-East writes in her blog...
I spent an evening with Street Angels in Bolton on Saturday (8th December), together with Cllr Jean Gillies.
The scheme operates in the centre of Bolton’s club land between 10pm and 3am every Saturday night, and the last Friday of the month.
A team of volunteers go out on the streets in the centre of Bolton walking amongst people enjoying a night out. They offer practical support, a listening ear if needed, as well as a safe place to go while people take a breather or wait for a taxi. They run the ‘Safe Space’ cafe on Bradshawgate.
Although it was very cold and wet it was great to spend time with the volunteers – it was really rewarding to be able to help people like the 18 year-old girl who had been left by her friends, for example. We took her back to the cafe and got her warm, then tried to get in touch with her friends. Unfortunately, they weren’t able to come and meet her so we phoned her Dad who came to pick her up! It was good to know that she was safe and looked after and it is a great example of the importance of the work done by Street Angels.
The volunteers do a great job and Bolton town centre is a better place because of them. They are always looking for more volunteers. If you are interested you can find out more information here: http://www.boltonstreetangels.org/
From the Street Angels website:
“Bolton Town Centre is a great place for a night out but what happens if things go wrong? For example:
- your mate gets off with a fella and leaves you stranded in town.
- you lose your mates and they aren’t answering their mobiles
- you feel ill and everyone else does’t want to go home yet but you don’t want to be left at a taxi rank on your own
- you can’t get into that club cos the doormen say one of you has had enough to drink so you need somewhere to chill out for an hour
- you fell off your high heels! Not exactly needing hospital treatment but a plaster would be useful.
- you just fancy a break and a nice cuppa with some peace and quiet.
“The SafeSpace Café could be the place you need! It’s open on Saturdays and the last Friday of the month from 10pm to 3am at 91 Bradshawgate opposite the Balmoral.
“Call in for a brew while you call a taxi, use it as a meeting place if you lose your mates. (First aiders on hand.)”
Donate to the work of CNI Network here
Street Angels - Christian Nightlife Initiatives Network:
Registered Charity 1136416 / Company Limited by Guarantee 07173090
All content and various brand names (C) CNI Network
Postal Address: CNI Network, The King's Centre, Park Rd, Halifax, HX1 2TS
E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (founder / CEO) / Phone: 07725501465