Street Angels will be out on a number of dates over the festive season and would like to share a few tips for revellers.Street Angels is a church-led initiative set up to help make Whitby town centre a safer and better place.
The team of volunteers can usually be found out on the streets of Whitby on Friday nights and occasional Saturdays, practically helping and listening to people, especially those in difficult situations.
We’ll be out and about in Whitby on Friday 18 December, Saturday 19 December, Saturday 26 December, Thursday 31 December, Friday January 1 and Saturday January 2.
Here are a few stay safe tips for staying safe if you’re going out for the night:
• Plenty sense. Plenty water. Plenty friends. Never leave your drinks around.
• Always stay with your friends, don’t go off alone, have their contact information on you somewhere other than your phone and, over a big dinner beforehand, try to think about your drinking limits for the night and stick to them!
• Always eat before a night out – never drink on an empty stomach.
• Know your drink and know your limit.
• Know what you are drinking so you can know how much you have had. This will also help you and your friends know if you have been spiked because you have kept account of your alcohol intake.
• Pick a venue right for you – if you feel out of place, leave!
• Most fights start over something minor. If someone knocks you or spills your drink, apologise!
• Don’t get involved in breaking up a fight – that’s the job of the door-staff!
• Someone pestering you? Try to ignore them and if that doesn’t work ask the bar or door staff to help you.
• Look out for your friends – make sure they are safe.
• Keep your taxi money in another part of your handbag/wallet so you don’t spend it.
• Always sit in the back of a taxi if you’re travelling by yourself.
• If in doubt find the Street Angel volunteers who will offer help and support or a police officer or ask the door-staff.
We wish you all a safe Christmas and New Year night out.