“I am delighted to send you my good wishes as you prepare for the CNI Network National Conference 2013. The witness of Christians through work in night-time projects brings Jesus’ own ministry of welcome to our streets and I am immensely grateful for the difference you make to the lives of vulnerable people. My prayers are with you, that you and all who serve in this way may be strengthened through faith and may bring God’s love to those you meet.”
We are pleased to announce a great line up of speakers who will equip, and, along with stories of what is happening within projects across the UK, inspire you for the work you do in the night-time economy.
The workshops and fast paced talks on the Saturday morning will go deeper on subjects that are not generally covered within local training and include:
- An insight into Counter Terrorism and the Night-time Economy. Delivered by DC Thomas Spencer (North East Counter Terrorism Unit)
- Sexual Healing - helping us support guys we come across in our night-time work break free and stay free of the addictive trap of porn (a workshop for men only). Delivered by Gerald Coates and Nathan Ferreira author of Sexual Healing.
- Churches Working Together - good stories and ideas to help make it happen. Delivered by Roy Crowne, Executive Director, HOPE Together.
- Working with Police and Local Authorities - Redeeming our Communities is seeing amazing outcomes with partnership between Christian groups and statutory bodies - this workshop will help equip and inspire you in this area. Delivered by Debra Green OBE, founder Redeeming our Communities.
- Trafficking and Street Grooming - the signs to look out for and techniques for disrupting whilst keeping oneself safe as well as linking to organisations who can offer advice and help. Delivered by Tam Sheen founder of CALLA.
Along with keynote speakers, a gala dinner, time for you to share what is happening in your project and a morning of fast-paced TED style speakers this will be a great weekend! We have a fantastic deal at the Staverton Park Hotel which includes room, meals, use of gym and swimming pool, wi-fi, unlimited tea and coffee and the conference programme - all for £140 per person (see conference page for further details and to book).
Thanks to Diageo who have sponsored the content of this weekend.
The first three can help with your local project:
- Lloyds Day to Make a Difference - potential volunteers to help with your project
- Serve UK looking for stories from SA-CNI local project
- Fixers - engaging with young people - helping young people be creative around positive change
Street Angels to patrol Plymouth protecting teenagers from drink and drugs
Scarborough - new mission for town's team of Angels
Majorca Street Angels set to launch - newspaper feature 1 / newspaper feature 2 / update
Update on Burton-upon-Trent Street Angels
How Street Angels are helping to save Oldham's soles!
Greater Manchester Police for Oldham SA founder (well done Jean from all at SA-CNI)
Visit to Whitehaven Saints and Ignite Youth Work
Windsor Street Angels one year anniversary
Woking Street Angels sent from above!
Leeds Street Angels - great feedback
High Sheriff visits Bradford Street Angels
Over 3300 volunteer hours for Sanktuary Telford / Valentines Weekend in Telford
Belper Street Angels receive funding from Rotary
Angels back for more in Uxbridge
Helping Young People Halifax Newsletter
No Limits - America's Binge Drink Habits
The Love Your Streets #Do1NiceThing Lent challenge is running with a new challenge every day. We have seen: John Edwards organise a team from Life Church in Bradford to litter pick and collect 60 syringes from an estate neighbouring the church; people saying that by deliberately thinking that they needed to #Do1NiceThing they have chatted to people they would normally walk on by; and Hoo Farm in Telford are tweeting #Do1NiceThing ideas for animals!
#Do1NiceThing is perfect for Lent (and means you don't have to give up chocolate) - we have a page of ideas on-line, daily tweets (search #Do1NiceThing in Twitter) and Facebook messages, inclusion in Neighbourhood Prayer Network Friday email and UCB Prayer for Today.
Thu 28th Feb - Day of Prayer for Street Angels, Street Pastors, etc - there is a prayer day at St Columba's in Woking between 9.30am and 5pm, pray where you are or arrange local and regional prayer gatherings. We plan to make the last day in February every year a day of prayer and the last week in October a week of prayer for work in the night-time economy.
Sat 2nd - Paul and Jean meeting with Street Angels in Hillingdon, Uxbridge.
Sun 3rd - Paul at the Love Your Street London launch at Kingsborough Family Church who meet at 1st Floor Legion House, 854 Uxbridge Road. Hayes. UB4 0RP. Service is at 10am - all welcome if you are in that area!
Tue 5th - Paul at Calderdale College to talk to Business Students around setting up SA-CNI and the impact of volunteering followed by presentation of the Inspire Award - see here
Wed 6th - Paul leading a Social Media masterclass, 10am - 12.30pm at The King's Centre, Halifax - information on this and future Social Media events here.
Thu 14th - Paul and Jackie from Street Angels in North East Lincolnshire speaking at Louth Ladies Luncheon Club in Louth, Lincolnshire - 12noon.
Sat 16th - Paul and Jean at the Make Jesus Known Supporters Night in Oldham.
Wed 20th - Paul speaking at St Chad's Church, Hove Edge on the work of SA-CNI.
Thu 21st - Paul is speaking on "Communities empowered to transform from binge to better" at a national event organised by Keep Britain Tidy - "Despite the Cuts: Engaging People, Engaging Place" around citizen led action in places we love. See here for details.
Other Forthcoming Events:
Fri 5th - Sun 7th April - Christian Police Association 130th celebration weekend at Stockton Baptist Tabernacle - information is here (this is partly organised by Steve from Stockton Town Pastors)
April 19th - 28th - Cycle for Work - a team from Community Foundation for Calderdale (who are big supporters of Street Angels in Halifax and as it has grown nationally) are cycling Lands End to John O-Groats raising money for young people to become apprentices. If they pass through your local area they would love support and encouragement! See www.cycleforwork.co.uk for details and map.
Sat 22nd June - Area event/conference being hosted by Guildford Street Angels at St Saviour’s church, Guildford. Speakers include Paul Blakey and Lynne Owens, Chief Constable of Surrey. More info from Lin Haynes firstname.lastname@example.org. Open to everyone.
Tue 25th June - SA-CNI Annual General Meeting, 6.30pm for food (booking available soon) and 7.30pm for AGM at The Salvation Army, Central Street, Hoyland Common, Barnsley, S74 0FG (a few minutes off the M1 Junction 36)
Sat 10th - Sun 18th August - Edinburgh Festival - a few days in Edinburgh over the Festival time - accommodation at £15 a night (self catering) a bus ride from the city centre. Email Paul if interested. There may also be opportunity to Street Angel in Magaluf over the summer season and at some of the UK's music festivals.
Fri 30th August - Sun 1st September - SA-CNI National Conference - see here for details.
Great news we are now able to offer your supporters the opportunity to take on the challenge of a lifetime and skydive! They can experience the thrill of jumping from over 10,000 feet by taking part in a sponsored tandem skydive for your charity.
Life Changing Challenges is working in collaboration with ' Skydive for free' to help you find even more ways to attract supporters at no cost to yourselves. See link for full details.
Money can be raised via Street Angels - CNI Network to support your local project (contact us for details).
You can also raise money for your local project via WeHelpedU.org.uk (text giving, on-line giving, give as you shop, give a scrap car) - this domain name is now incorporated into the main SA-CNI web site.
Armargh City Outreach; North Belfast NightLight; Bridlington Street Angels; Hull Street Angels; Skipton Street Angels; Stony Stratford Street Ministers; Aberystwyth Night Light; Felixstowe Town Pastors; Norfolk Street Partnership - Dereham; Staines Street Angels; Neighbourhood Prayer Network
See the 2013 Prayer page for detailed prayer needs.
We are also supporting the work of National Day of Prayer as they Join The Dots across the UK and encourage people to pray The Lord's Prayer daily at 12noon and sign up to pray, care and share for your street via NeighbourhoodPrayer.net .
- Setting up a New Project - a tool-kit for starting Street Angels in your community
- Practical resources such as Insurance, on-line shop, handbook & policies, charity objectives, etc
- Promotion of what is happening within your local project on our blog, social media and newsletter
- Phone, email, Facebook chat or in-person support from founder and CEO Paul Blakey
- Prayer support via our monthly prayer page on the web site and #CNIPrayer on Twitter
- Local Branch of SA-CNI which can offer charitable status to a local group
- Use of Big Society Award logo and CNI Network logo to show you are linked to national initiative
- Visit to your project with Big Society Award from Paul and Jean Blakey
- Occasional inclusion of local news in national media coverage through interviews with Paul
- WeHelpedU.org.uk - various ways to promote giving to your project at no cost to the project
- Inclusion in the forthcoming SA-CNI Book
- Potential accredited training package "supporting users of the night-time economy"
- Sharing the local and national vision and work at a wide range of conferences and events
- Use of a wide range of quotes and endorsement from national leaders
- Opportunity to invite Paul to speak at local and regional events or to visit your project
- Regional Leadership Team who can help and support you in the work you do
- Use of Alcohol and Safety Educational Resource for schools, young peoples groups, etc
- Regional Gatherings helping network projects and volunteers together
- Invitation to events such as national conference and receptions
- Links to national initiatives including church, organisations, business that can benefit your work
- Increasing opportunity to serve at music festivals, European clubbing centres, etc
- Support in areas such as Social Media, press releases, web site and marketing
- One stop contact and web site for people to find out what the church is doing in NTE
Street Angels - CNI Network helps your local work be part of the bigger national picture. We believe that we are stronger in unity and enables us to speak as one voice for faith work within the night-time economy. We don't make a charge but ask that local projects support SA-CNI financially where they can. To find out more email Paul / 07725 501465 / explore the web site. Street Angels - CNI Network is here for you...
Starting a New Project - updates to the Volunteer Handbook and Policies (useful for new projects and those updating policies and procedures) and information on providing first aid.
Information Leaflet on SA-CNI Network - updated to include quote from the Archbishop of Canterbury and Prime Minister and some updated wording - this is useful for helping promote your project and the wider work of SA-CNI Network to a wider audience.
Grants of £10,000 are potentially available for Christian organisations that want to significantly increase the mobilisation of volunteers for social impact. You can find out more here. Cinnamon Network also have grants available for new Street Angel projects - see here.
Projects in the south of England may want to consider marketing support or business development from Helena Bissett - her web site is here.
Interesting stories from our social media: People who 'do God, do good' says Baroness Warsi / National church and Social Action research / View from The Pier on Sanktuary:Telford
"Thank you for an inspirational and informative evening. You and your colleagues are an outstanding example of the really good things which underpin our society. What you do is invaluable." Stephen Davidson - High Sheriff of West Yorkshire following a visit last month to Bradford Street Angels.